Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Safely arrived in Kiev!

Hello friends!!

Thank you for your prayers for safe travel. My dad did miss his flight. However, God is good and He brought me safely to Kiev.

I have to say, I can't recall a time mixed with more terror and adventure than when I realized I would have to go to Kiev alone. I didn't realize how much I had been relying on my Dad's Russian practice to get me around until the safety net if his presence and knowledge was gone. Even ordering beef or fish on the flight became difficult without someone who knows the language. The real trouble was getting from the airport to the hotel. But instead of trying to navigate the subway directions from the kind woman at the info desk, I took my chances on an overpriced taxi ride. I'm just glad he took me where I needed to go.

Some blessings of the day (beyond the answer to prayer for safety) included that my hotel offers free wifi, which I can use on my phone; that my hotel is right across from one if the most beautiful parks with views of the city that I've ever seen; and that I was able to get food from one of the stands without saying a word (and consequently giving away my
naivety). Tonight, God gave me the opportunity to enjoy my Grandmothers city in quiet and inconspicuous contemplation. It was a remarkable experience to walk through this park and get to sit and journal while looking over views if the whole city. In some way, God gave me the gift of enjoying some moments to spend time on my own drinking in this place that I've imagined since my childhood. I do wish my dad had made it, but I am also appreciative if the unique experience God has given me in the midst of this mistake. He has successfully turned something I dreaded, into a blessing - again!

Thank you again for your love and prayers! Keep praying for my Dad to arrive safely tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment